

Well..I'm going to be spending my summer in Kenya!
Every year MTW sends a staff person to lead the group of interns that goes down to Nairobi to work with a church plant there in the slum of Kibera. Normally this staff person is Opal who has gone several times and has a lot of experience with leading groups. However, as this summer approached, it was clear that Opal's skills were needed on other mission fields. We brainstormed and found a great couple who were willing to consider it. About a week ago they emailed and said they couldn't do it either. Unbelievably, I was asked if I would consider it.
At first I thought the idea was ridiculous. Plus, I have to take summer school so I thought I would be so behind if I took the whole summer off. But the more I thought and prayed about it, the more I felt like God was saying "just be open". Last Tuesday I found myself telling Opal and Jack (my boss) that I would be open to doing it. They were so excited and encouraging. A few details were worked out, such as how my normal work would be covered, and the decision was made!
I will be leading a group that currently consists of 8 girls and 1 guy. We are really praying that at least 1 more guy will apply! Most of the team is college-aged and there is one girl who's the same age as me. I will be the liason between the group and the Kenyan pastor and his wife. I will be helping to facilitate things such as their bible study and day to day activities. Honestly, I am completely overwhelmed and scared to death! Well, I alternate between that and being really pumped. It will be a great opportunity to use my counseling skills amongst other things and be able to experience a culture for a longer period of time. Fortunately too I have plently of Old Testament examples of people that God used to do big things even though they were probably the least qualified! Because that's certainly how I feel at this point.
MTW will be doing some training with me so I will be more ready when the time comes. I will be going to the internship prefield training for all interns June 1-5, and then on the 5th I will leave with the group for Kenya and then arrive back in Atlanta on August 1.
I am sad that I will miss Simon and Eve's wedding, the birth of my fifth honorary nephew Harrison, Gina's birthday, potential showers for my future sister-in-law Shannon, all my friends, and the relationships that I will have to leave behind at work with my other missionaries and co-workers. I will have to trust God to comfort me and give me strength for this huge task! I really feel like this was His idea, and I know that it will be one learning experience that I will draw on for years to come.
I'm sure I will be keeping up with this blog and such and I hope folks will email me! Anyway, I'll post more info as I get it.
14 comments:
No freakin' way! That totally rocks! Fly through Frankfurt...can you arrange that???? I am not doing anything on June 6 or August 1 and Hadleigh and I will come and visit you at the airport.
Unreal. You will do an awesome job. Yes please keep us all updated with how its going through your blog. Love, Ann
Jess,
Awesome news and congrats. This is one more step and experience that God has given you becuase he knows you will do great. It is also great to see your boss and coworkers so supportive of you.
Andy
Wow Jess, that is so awesome! I know God will use you in amazing ways there leading the team. Can't wait to hear more about it.
I am so excited for you! So I decided that since you are going to be gone for two months you have to bring me back something really cool! Sound good? I think so :)
oops didn't sign my name...
Jamie
SWEET! I got chills reading about this amazing opportuinty. God sho do rock and I can't wait to hear how He uses you. WOW!
Jessica-
WOW is all I have to say! I really am honored to say you are my cousin and part of my family! You are an amazing lady and definitely looked up to in many ways. I think what you're doing in Kenya is remarkable and a fantastic experience for you! You shower people with God's love and I think you will open up the other people involved and make them experience the Love of Christ like you do always! Be safe and have a ton of fun and I will be thinking of you! Love you so much, Melissa Kosel
Jess, that is so cool!! I'm very excited for you—I'm sure you will do great work. My prayers are with you.
Jess,
So very proud of you!! Your Mom is beaming from heaven and will be with you every step of the way.
Love you - Mary
Yay, Jess, that is so exciting! I know you will do great. And I felt like I needed to add to your cornocopia of comments. CEP
Jess, that's great! Don't sweat the wedding--we'll get by without you. :) I know you'll be doing great things over in Kenya, and I want to hear all about it after you get back!
ahhhh, jess, I was excited when you told me saturday, and slightly envious, but since you had to go ahead and post those blasted pictures, I'm more envious. could you have left off the elephants? Just kidding of course!!!!! And you know I'll be one of your #1 supporters, well, even though you don't need money. and it's my job for intown besides REALLY liking Africa and elephants. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm so excited! really, really excited, I can't wait to hear the stories. alright, jess, take care getting ready, let us know if you need ANYTHING!
Your fellow likes-to-travel-to-Africa friend,
Ang
Yay!!!
So excited for you! I had no idea! I am sorry I haven't been able to keep up on everything... Very excited to see you in a month!
Danielle
Post a Comment