Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A little piece of heaven

Last weekend I had a chance to participate in a silent (well..mostly) spiritual retreat that was actually a class I took through my school! I didn't realize it was silent until I got there, but I wasn't totally surprised based on the materials we had to read in preparation. Believe or not, I liked it very much. It was neat too just sitting in silence and thinking about a scripture verse and passage or really trying to sense what God was doing or showing me without clouding all of my time with Him with my requests. It was definitely hard sometimes, but something I want to keep trying. It was cool too because we would talk with the instructors about what to do if you get bored or you can't stop thinking about work or whatever else. It was very eye-opening. The class came at a much needed time as the past few months have been pretty stressful for me.

Here's one thing we talked about. You may have heard the verse before "Be still and know that I am God" from Psalm 46. Did you know that to be still in that passage means to "cease striving". That was refreshing to think about.

1 comment:

sringsmuth said...

Did you know that to be still in that passage means to "cease striving".

No, I didn't. Hm...thanks for that, Jess!