Saturday, April 01, 2006

Reflections on being an "ENFP"

I don't know how many of you have ever taken the Myers-Briggs personality profile, but if you haven't it's definitely an insightful tool. My department had to take it at work a couple of years ago in order to better understand our personalities and how they fit together as a team. My profile was an ENFP, which stands for "extrovert, intuitive, feeling, perceiving." Without the explanations from the book the terms seem kind of weird, but that's what they stand for.

I have found that the counseling classes I'm taking are helping me to become much more self-aware. So occasionally I find myself thinking more about how I respond to people around me and what my natural personality is. Your personality is supposed to be like the hand that you prefer to write with. If you're right-handed, you can write with your left-hand but you prefer to write with your right. It comes naturally.

Yesterday morning we had a follow-up class with Dr. Benner and his wife who lead the class/retreat last weekend. One thing that I've been learning a lot lately is that being an extrovert doesn't necessarily mean that it would be weird for me to like spending time in silence and that being a feeler doesn't mean that I'm not reflective. But I do get energy from being around people (extrovert) and I do make decisions more often based on a gut feeling then a logical conclusion (feeler). I hope that I can also enjoy being with God like I enjoy being with people and that I can be just as reflective about the times I'm spending with Him like I am when I'm listening to others.

It's satisfying when I can embrace who God has made me to be.

5 comments:

CP said...

No way, I'm an ENFP too!! I see it most reflected in my dramatic moods swings... "ludacris high" and "melancholy low" is how I once saw it described. Others refer to it as my "silly switch," and the light plate on my bedroom in Raleigh even says that. ;)

jessrings said...

Ummm...I'm not sure how to take that comment because I don't think I have a silly switch..but thanks for the thought.

Beth said...

I am fairly certain that both our cousin Jeremy and my sister are also ENFPs, which is totally crazy because it's turning out that the people I think are really cool all end up being ENFPs if they have any idea what I'm talking about. So that's so cool!!

My boyfriend and I both got really interested in the Myers-Briggs stuff a couple months ago. He was using the book, "Do What You Are" to try to figure out career stuff, and I requested that that library buy "Just Your Type," the book by the same authors on relationships between types.

We are both on the borderline for E-I typology, but I'm an NFJ and he is definitely an NFP (we both think we are introverts who have learned that extroversion is more helpful in relating to others, or are extroverted with friends but not necessarily in work situations). Those books have been really insightful for both of us--the descriptions are excellent and the advice is pretty good, too.

I liken personality to the Operating System we each have loaded on the computers of our minds. It's just how we relate/interface with others, and compatibility is sometimes an issue. :)

sringsmuth said...

I liken personality to the Operating System we each have loaded on the computers of our minds. It's just how we relate/interface with others, and compatibility is sometimes an issue. :)

Wow...that's really deep. Or maybe it's just really easy to understand. Either way, it sounds good to me. :)

I've taken the MB tests and the True Colors tests, but neither have been very helpful. The MB test told me I was extremely different from what I actually am (it said I was some kind of social butterfly and got lots of parking tickets, or something like that) and the True Colors was a little more accurate, but in the way a fortune cookie or newspaper horoscope can be accurate as long as you widen the scope enough.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Jesus was an ENFP acording to Joe Brand...that makes us all pretty cool.