Thursday, June 09, 2005

While I was rearranging my room

In preparation for my cousin Sean to come tomorrow, today I was dusting, picking up and generally rearranging my room. It was long overdue so I am glad for opportunities like this that really force me to clean because I sort of put it off....a lot. Anyways, there are a lot of things on display in my room that remind me of my mom that I don't take the time always to really think and look at them. Generally I think that's ok because it can be painful still. However, I was reminded during my cleaning of two of my favorite things, which are these cards my mom sent me in college. She would occasionally send me these cards whenever she thought of me and they always had the two key things that a college student would need- money and supportive/encouraging words. I wanted to share with you one of the cards she sent me that I got around my junior year of college. I think she wrote this while she was on vacation with her sister Ann.

The card says: "Even though we don't see each other that much, or talk as often as I'd like, you are always in my thoughts....(flip to the inside)...and always in my heart."

She wrote on the inside: "Jessica- As you read this card I'm in sunny Mexico. Hope this card and money finds you happy and content in the Lord. Ironically we are studying Romans 5:1-5 at church. To this day it surprises me how much disciples are needed in this world like you."

Although this does still bring tears to my eyes it is so neat to be reassurred that my mom always knew what to say to me to encourage me on. I can't tell her physically that I got into graduate school, but somehow I know that she knows and is proud. Sean, can't wait to see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog today also brought tears to my eyes as it's those little things that will forever remind you of the loved ones lost. Your mom couldn't be prouder and I know she will be with you every step of the way through grad school.

Congrats to you and take care:)

Love,
Shannon