Monday, June 20, 2005

My hair looked really good today

I went to a wedding shower today for an extremely nice and caring girl in our singles group. A bunch of us were there celebrating with her and giving her cool stuff that none of us would be excited about unless we were getting married ourselves. I was never prepared for how often I would be attending wedding showers as a person in their mid-20's. And to be honest I usually leave these showers slightly more deflated then I was upon arrival. It's never the bride-to-be's fault. I've never been to a shower where the bride wasn't overly thankful and excited that you came and gave her that sweet cheese grater she really wanted. But for some reason I always leave showers (and weddings too for that matter) analyzing my own lack-of-a-dating-life and wondering the age old question "why not me?" I mean today I had a great hair day. I don't think any guy couldn't have been attracted to my hair today. I also think I'm funny and have other attributes that most people find charming enough. However, I have not been asked out on a date in three years. I also know other equally great people who have never been asked out on a date. Fortunately, most of the time my self worth is not wrapped up in how many times I've been asked out. But it would be nice to at least feel wanted.

Today as I left to go to a friend's going away party, one of my roommates said "you look really cute tonight." That helped a ton. It's so nice to know that someone notices you're trying to put your best foot forward. And I know that when God's timing is right for me to date and marry my husband- it's going to be awesome. And yes, I do want the Williams-Sonoma cheese grater.

No comments: