Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sox goes to the vet

From the beginning I have wanted Sox to be low maintenance. What else does she need in life that I don't give her? And she's not my child, dangit, she's my cat. However, I do admit I am obsessed with petting and talking to her, but I don't think that's harmed her quite yet. In light of all this, I certainly have never taken her to the vet. She's healthy and never goes outside. Probably the worse thing she's been exposed to is the shock mat or getting accidently locked into Amy's room. But now that I'm done with school I figured it would be good to try to get her her yearly shots and ask the vet why Sox insists on peeing on the right-hand side curtain every three weeks. It does result in that curtain getting regularly cleaned but it sure is dad gum annoying.

All this week I've been getting prepared by telling Sox that "you're going on a little trip" in my weird, high pitched this-is-how-I-speak-to-Sox-only voice. Luckily Amy is sweet and doesn't bug me when I talk in this voice. It happened a lot this week. I was just trying to get her ready.

She somewhat willingly went into Christina's cat carrier that I borrowed for this occasion on Wednesday morning at 8:15am. I loaded her in the car and listened her to meow all the way to Tucker Animal Hospital which was only like three miles. I went inside and checked her in. Then she was called back and I went with her for support. Mostly the check was super fast. I don't know if this is typical, but I was there for like 30 minutes. She didn't complain too much and let the tech pet her and pet her to calm her down. The tech said "she did good." She did flip out when they stuck something up her butt, but who wouldn't? I'm not really sure what that was about. They were all real nice though. I found out that she weighs 10.1 pounds, which according to the vet is healthy and NOT FAT. Thank you very much Kendra, et. al, who insist that Sox is packing the pounds.

Recommendation about the curtain issue from vet: get a urine sample from Sox over the next few weeks. Apparently I can do this if I completely empty her litter box. He said she would still go without litter. Then I use the syringe and squeegie the stuff into the bottle and bring it in to rule out any kind of infection, etc. Low maintenance...what???

That's going to be a post-Mexico activity for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome! that you have to get a urine sample from a cat, heehee! i'm so sorry! (but now you will understand a little more how i feel when dr lewis tells me to look at poop under a microscope).