Thursday, May 22, 2008

Other happening's this week

I mentioned in the below blog, that I've had two job interviews and also helped save a child this week.

If my roommate Amy Mo had a blog, she would definitely put the child story on there. She found him Sunday night after all, crying on his big wheel near the dumpster and pool by our house. She had gone to take the trash out while I was putting my pajamas and getting the On Demand ready to watch the CSI season finale. I was laying on the couch just kind a chillin' and then realized that Amy never came back. She claims that I was not worried but I was a little worried. As I was considering whether or not to go out there to see if she was alive, she came in and was talking to someone. I sat up and she had a little five year old boy with her. All he would say is that he missed his mom and that he came over to our neighborhood through the lake. We had no idea what he was talking about. He didn't know his number or where he lived. But he knew his mom's name. With a little luck, I'm BFF with Kendra who's the president of our board, and she had a master list of residents and found his address. So with the boy and the big wheel in tow, we brought him back to his confused mother, who was quite appreciative. Fortunately it looks like he probably just biked a bit too far and forgot how to get back. But it was kind of weird. Good thing Amy has some mad counseling-kids instincts and befriended him.

I also got to go to two job interviews. One of the jobs is with New Hope Counseling Center, which takes drug and dui court referrals from Forsyth County. I know a guy who interns there while he works at MARR, so he hooked me up by bringing in my resume. I had a great time there and really liked the staff. I actually went to the interview after the birth of Elijah, but God gave me the strength I needed to be attentive and ask questions. All the work is part-time contract, but you can work your way up and get quite a few hours leading groups and doing individual therapy for people with problems with drugs and alcohol. My favorite thing! I have to go to some training next week but then I'll start doing groups one night a week after I get back from Mexico. Depending on how that goes, hopefully I will be able to pick up some more counseling hours!!

I'm still praying about the other job opportunity, and I'm still looking for other part or full-time work in Atlanta as a counselor. I know God will provide the open doors! It's quite an adventure, that's for sure.

No comments: