Friday, May 16, 2008

Graduation!!





I have been officially done with all of my schoolwork since Monday, May 5. I should have been done on May 2, but I got an urgent email from our clinical director on that Monday saying that she was "very frustrated" by my handwriting and lack of totaling up my internship hours in the correct columns. Fortunately my math was right, but I had to drive over to school that afternoon in the middle of Atlanta traffic to rewrite the sheets. In hindsight, she could have said that I couldn't graduate, so ultimately I was grateful. And aware of the fact that "doing things in the way that seem easiest to me" isn't always going to be the way that my director wants it!! Isn't that the case with academia.

But now that is all over. In a whirlwind weekend of friends and family visiting and celebrating with me, I had an awesome time at my graduation ceremony in Chattanooga and at the party that Rochelle hosted at her house on the following day.

The graduation day was really special. About an hour before the ceremony started, the students and professors met for communion and fellowship, where the students had a chance to express their feelings about the experience they had at PSI. It reminded me of what a sweet time it was for me and others and what a special school it is, especially to have Christians represented from all sorts of churches and denominations, learning together for the same purpose- to care for another's soul through counseling. The communion was interesting. We had wine in a cup that looked like one of those to-go creamers, and then it had a waffer on top underneath a thin layer of plastic. So you peeled off a layer, took the bread, and then peeled off a layer of the creamer container and took the wine (actually, it was juice). Always something interesting when not in your own Christian tradition!

The ceremony itself was like a worship service. We sang hymns, announced the candidates and had our degrees conferred, and the professors prayed for us in a commissioning prayer. It was my first graduation I have ever attended at a Christian school, and certainly Christ was indeed the center. A lot of the pictures here were taken after the ceremony on the steps of First Presbyterian Church in Chattanooga which is where the ceremony was held (PSI has two campuses- ATL and CHATT, and the cities take turns hosting the graduation).

The next day was beautiful and Rochelle and many others helped to put together a wonderful party in her awesome backyard. We had yummy pork and dessert and sides and lots and lots of cowboy golf. Probably the highlight was Rochelle's presentation of the video montage she made out of video clips sent in by family members on both sides. I was so surprised. And cried from beginning to end. What else could I do when it started with her precious kids saying "I love you Aunt Jessie" followed by the most heartfelt and hilarious words from sooo many family members? It was incredible.

All around, I left the weekend with my heart full. I loved getting to see my family too and showing them my house and more of my life. We had many fun meals together and Matt and Grandpa even fixed my deck door- score! It certainly wouldn't be a weekend with those two without leaving something better than they found it. Also, major props to Sherrie for navigating Atlanta traffic all weekend which included not only dodging cars but Matt's running commentary on her every move. And Ann, did you all really get to the airport like at 5:30am or did you sleep there the night before like Matt requested?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We left Rochelles at 5:40 following Steven to the airport. Thank goodness we did cause he helped us find Enterprise to return the car. Then we got thru security and to our gate at 7:40 for our 8:00 flight. Of course I gate was at the end so by the time we got there we were tired and sat down. I was facing the ticket counter and was wondering why they weren't boarding anyone. A family right then came up and gave the agent her tickets and once they boarded I headed to ask her if the flight was boarded already. Well guess what everyone was on but us 5 and 2 other's. Thank goodness I'm an early person cause if we would've left the house any later, we would not of made our flight. The weekend was great and I'm glad I was part of it. Miss you, Love, Ann

sringsmuth said...

I can't believe it took me so long to respond to this post! Thanks for putting up the pics, Jess. You look just like your mom in the pic with you, your dad, and Matt. It sounds like everything went great, and I really wish we could have been there. If we come to Georgia this summer would love to see you.