Thursday, May 22, 2008

Baby Elijah's Birth


I would have to say that this has been one eventful week. I've had two job interviews, helped rescue a child, and witnessed my cousin Rochelle's delivery of baby Elijah!!

Several weeks ago, Rochelle emailed me and asked if I would like to be present for the birth of her fourth child, Elijah, who was scheduled to come into the world on May 19, which was the day she was supposed to be induced. The email pretty much flipped me out. I didn't know WHAT to think. I had NEVER considered doing that unless the Lord is gracious and allows me to have children of my own someday. But the more I thought about it, the more I figured it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Rochelle was telling me how laid back she was during the process, and I was pretty convinced it wouldn't be like tons of screaming and blood, so I went for it.

Last Sunday, she called me at about 11:45pm and said the hospital was ready for them and they were headed in. I had already packed my stuff so I could just jet out the door (quietly, my roommate still has a job and all) and drove up to Kennesaw. She was really cool during all the prodding and checks and everything that goes into an induction. After a while, all there was to do was sleep so we tried to do so. I probably slept about 1 1/2 hours, but it was cool trying to sleep to the thump-thump beating of little Elijah's heart. At about 12:00 the next day, Rochelle was ready to push. At 12:29pm, Elijah was totally out, caught by the two nurses, right before the doctor showed up. I'll spare sharing all the details that occurred during and after that half hour, to save what's left of the dignity that quickly flees during childbirth!! It was one of the most incredible experiences. I was wiping away tears and got to hold Elijah just minutes after he was born. The only thing I thought was gross was the placenta. There was NO WAY I was touching that thing!

This experience was definitely one of the most special of my life so far! You can click here to see more pics of the fam with the new baby. I love this family!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! (Almost as amazing as your role in rescuing the lost child) My cool, jock of a brother thought the placenta look like a giant ziploc bag. I'm thinking I'll just ask my doctor to take it away when he's done with it.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! (Almost as amazing as your role in rescuing the lost child) My cool, jock of a brother thought the placenta look like a giant ziploc bag. I'm thinking I'll just ask my doctor to take it away when he's done with it.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

dave thinks you are seriously a wuss for not touching the placenta...which is almost as cool as the baby. (according to dave)