Monday, May 14, 2007

God is never late but rarely early

My church had been without a senior pastor for one year and nine months.

Intown was the first church I officially joined on my own. After I graduated from Berry and moved to Atlanta, I visited churches, prayed, and sought guidance about where to plug in. That is where I hunkered down. It's been one of the biggest blessings of my life. I have made many life long friends there and time and time again I've been challenged by the sermons and the word given out at our sunday morning singles (ALF) fellowship.

But in a lot of ways this past 19 months without a pastor has been agonizing. I've been a member for six years, and this has definitely been an element that has tested my commitment vows.

We have gotten guest speakers, enjoyed a good interim pastor, and our other three pastors have certainly done great picking up the slack. But it's hard not to have the leadership and consistency that a senior pastor offers. We've also seen folks decide to leave in the process, which is stressful and draining too.

Last Sunday, the congregation voted to install Rev. John Tinnin to our senior pastor role. As I sat in our congregational meeting with the ballot in hand, thinking over the past nineteen months, it seemed almost surreal that this was finally happening. I know my friend Courtney who was on the pastor search committee at times had her doubts. Many were crying tears of joy. We got to hear Rev. Tinnin give a sermon and attend a separate question and answer time. I have no doubt that this is the man the Lord brought to us to lead our church.

I am relieved. I am ectastic. I am joyful.

Although it seemed like God was late in this process a few times, I know that He had to work out things just perfectly to allow this man to come to us.

For that, I am also grateful.

No comments: