Thursday, May 03, 2007

Don't do drugs...or drink too much..to say the least

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this week I've been out at my internship site, MARR (Metro Atlanta Residence and Recovery) as a participant in their family program. My supervisor told me about this a couple of weeks ago and asked if I could attend for most of it if my schedule allowed. I technically don't start until the 14th, but when I saw the schedule I was totally there. I have a lot to learn about addictions and treatment in a very short time!

Basically, what I've been doing is going through a training seminar with families and close friends who have a loved one going through rehab at MARR. The person in treatment is there for 90 days and goes through several stages which teaches them how to build good relationships with others, why addiction is a disease, what to expect when they get out, etc. They also have to get jobs in the community, etc. The family comes and attends the seminar after their loved one has been there at least a month. They attend the seminars without them though, generally.

For the most part, the people knew that I was there to learn too but that my experience was different because I didn't have anyone in rehab and eventually I was going to help counsel loved ones like theirs. It was really neat though to get to be with them like a participant. We talked about how the 12 steps work, how addictions affect the brain, why relapse is so common and how to try to prevent it, how they have enabled their loved ones, and we heard a few really, really, moving testimonies from people who have been through MARR's programs. Some more then once. I also learned that really, I could have so easily been an addict, you know? It doesn't take much. And that the Christian life is basically a 12-step program. That's a revelation!

Overall, I am really excited that I ended up at MARR for my outplacement. I met all the staff and everyone was so welcoming too. It's going to be a huge learning experience and I can tell already some fears I have about being there. But overall, this little intro this week has helped me to get pumped to use my degree to promote healing and wholeness for the patients and the families.

One of the quotes I really liked from a testimony I heard was: "Worry is the delusion that you are in control."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I just wanted to know how much I admire you for going into the field of counseling. God has given you a unique gift.
I enjoy reading your blog entries. Your old neighbor, Geri asks about you and Matt whenever I see her at work (Kohl's). She is delighted when I can fill her in on whatever I know that you and Matt are doing.
Sue