Last Wednesday night, Amy Mo, Courtney and I went to see the Cirque du Soleil that had set up tent this month at Atlantic Station. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to this after seeing a couple of documentaries about it on the Bravo channel. If you don't know about this show, it's basically a drama with music and a plot, but the "actors" are more like acrobats and creative gymnasts. They can do the craziest movements with their bodies while doing them suspended in mid-air or on top of a 20 foot ladder, for example. The show is simply mind-boggling. I was totally enthralled with it the whole time and was super sad when it was over! There's also different types of shows that Cirque does, so I'm totally going back. The one we saw was called "Corteo". I heard there's one in Las Vegas that they do completely underwater.
I also got to meet for the first time one of my most favorite musicians, Sandra McCracken, who was playing at Eddie's Attic, opening for Scott Miller last Thursday night. After Fouk hooked me on her music last summer in Kenya, I've been dying for a chance to go see her. Jamie, Courtney, Dr. Dilly and Laura were going and they told me about it, so I went along. We got there pretty early and there ended up being a small period of time where it seemed appropriate for me to go up and meet her and they were all encouraging me to do it. So I walked up there and told her how much her music meant to me and how I started listening to it in Kenya when we were on safari and did the ipod shuffle so we were all listening to each other's ipods on the way. She was super nice and thanked me a bunch. For some reason I choked up when I shared this so I just said thanks too and left. It was so awesome to meet her though and it was a great concert even if it was just for an hour.
Here's some sample lyrics for ya from her song "Shelter" which is on her new CD called "Gravity Love." You can get a glimpse for the depth of her songwriting:
In the arms of a good Father
You can go to the deep water
Where the questions, we have left unspoken
Come out in the open
We will find shelter here
So I lay down, what I cannot hold in my hands
Every sorrow and hope spinning out of control
And here I find sweet resolution comes in letting go
And we will find shelter here
When I look back I can see,
And when I am old I'll remember these things
Like a mountain of stone
And the longing that makes me believe�
There is a tree by the blue river
Where the shade stretches wide over
In this breaking we are hand and glove
Come with me my love
We will find shelter here
We will find shelter here�
3 comments:
YAY!!
I'm so jealous...I really want to see Cirque de Soleil. I'm glad you got to go. I just rediscovered your blog...it's great.
Awesome Jess that you got to meet your favorite singer. Do you know if she is married to Phil?
Andy
Post a Comment