Saturday, August 12, 2006

25th anniversary




2006 marks the 25th anniversary of the first people found with HIV/AIDS. This global epidemic began in Africa, and today in Kenya alone 1 out of every 5 people are HIV+. In the slums it is 1 in 3.

I had never made friends with someone who was HIV+ until this summer. Little did I know that these people by August would become so dear to my heart.

In these pictures are my friend Wangechi and her sons: Bendeson, 10 and Churchill, 6. And then me with Mary Angela, a woman I made in the Kibera slum AIDS support group. Mary Angela and her husband Michael are HIV+ and so is their youngest daughter, Sylvia. As you know, Wangechi is HIV+ and so is Bendeson.

If you ask Wangechi what her prayer requests are, she always says "for health!". She has a deep desire to do what she can to stay healthy so that she will be able to continue doing the this work. By leading the support groups the Lord uses her to allow people to come to terms with their HIV status and to have the tools to be able to move on with their lives.

When I think of Romans 8:28, I think of Wangechi. She is someone who took a horrible thing that happened to her and trusted God to use it for the good. I always told her she was the most popular person in Kibera. If you walk around the slum with Wangechi, so many people come up to greet her it's like being with a celebrity!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told Mary Angela's story in church today and got a good reaction from people. Your post reminded me of how much I miss Mary Wangeshi and Mary Angela and you too. And just about all my other Kenyan friends, whether they were born Kenyan or were grafted in. Hope you're doing well. You were an awesome team leader and a joy to serve with.

-Matthew
p.s. do I have any hope of seeing my honorarium any time soon...?