Monday, August 07, 2006

New perspective


I didn't anticipate how much my perspective on life in America would change after coming back from Kenya. I find myself noticing the most random things. Like I am amazed by the ease of the toilet flushing and how much water it uses to flush. It's a ton. I guess we need to use that much water? I'm not really sure.

Everything also smells really good. I told Jamie like three times my first day home that she smelled good and that the house really smelled good. I think the first two times she thought it was sweet but by the third time I think she thought I had a problem.

Some of the difficult things to readjust to has been the new sounds in my house at night and to how technology driven we are in our society. A good example of both of these things happened last Saturday night. I awoke at 2:30am to a loud screeching beep downstairs that would go off about every 30 seconds or so. I remembered that we had a carbon monoxide detector and maybe that's what it was and we were about to die. So I ran down there and discovered it was the smoke alarm. I stared at it for awhile and then it occurred to me that smoke alarms do that sometimes if the battery is low. I'm not totally sure if we had smoke detectors or not in our house in Kenya or not but if we did they probably don't beep when the battery is low. I was able to fix it though the next day and by God's grace it only took me about 15 minutes.

Here is also the first of the pics. My teammate Jennifer emailed this to me and so it was super easy to post. This was us explaining Ephesians 6 to the kids in Muthiga (where we were the bubble and crayon police) which talks about putting on the armor of God. I was the soldier as you can see and the others are putting on my armor and explaining it.

I feel like for me even more so now I need the armor of God. If you've never read Ephesians 6 check it out. It can help us to get through anything we may face.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess!
It's Angie R. Imagine that. I actually just got back from a year in Ecuador Thursday the 3rd. Reading your blog, I think I understand a lot of what you're saying, though it's a little bit more dramatic than Ecuador. My goodness. I'd like to talk to you sometime about your experience. Who knows, maybe I'll make it down to Georgia soon here.
Thanks for bringing me up with your blog. It gave me some insight on my own culture shock returning to the US of A.
Angie

Unknown said...

so glad you are back!!

Anonymous said...

um, did you get to go to Mary Wangeshi's house? because I am incredibly jealous if that's the case.

-Matthew
www.xanga.com/foolishyetwise

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

My only question is, when the smoke alarm was going off, did you put your pants on????

The Crazy Asburian RA

Anonymous said...

awww, aren't you so CUTE????
the good old days...
Nakupenda!
Jennifer Neelands