"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat...for my thought are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts....you will go out in joy and be led in peace." ~excerpts from Isaiah 55
We really felt our final days creeping up on us today as we spent our last day in the Kawangware slum and then took Jennifer to the airport as she is leaving 4 days early. Pastor Makuku and his family came over and we all prayed for her and then rode together to drop her off and say goodbye. Although it was a pretty sad car ride it became quite exciting when Steven and I spotted our favorite matutu, the "Bobo Train" for only the second time since coming to Nairobi. I'm going to miss Jennifer and the random matatus a lot.
We had our last days in Kibera and in the Mukuru Kiaba slums earlier this week and then Saturday is our last day in Muthiga. Muthiga is where I have to play crayon police because we always let the kids color after our bible lesson. We actually ran out of crayons a few weeks ago and so we've moved on to bubbles and the bubble police. So I am super grateful for some packages that came from home this week stocked full of awesome cards and more crayons!!!!! So I will be thinking of all of you back home this Saturday as the kids get so stoked to have their color time.
I am very much looking forward to tomorrow. Four of us, including me, are going to get our hair braided in the morning and then we're going to make a final souvenir stop at the mall. After that the Makuku's are taking us to the new home they are building that they've talked about the whole summer but we've never been able to see it. Then we are having debriefing with them over Martha's sucumaweke for dinner. Sucuma is the kind of food that I normally don't like when they serve it in Kibera but Martha insists that hers is much better. So I am super stoked. I think Martha's Sucuma Debriefing night is going to be a new annual tradition for interns. I am looking forward to looking back at the summer and talking through the strengths and weaknesses to continue to develop a good internship here in Kenya.
For me I still have a lot of mixed feelings about leaving. Realistically I have no idea if I will ever be able to come back. But I know that it is in God's hands. I know that in my wildest dreams I would have never pictured doing this with my summer. But I have been shown over and over again that God's ways are not ours and that's a good thing. It has been a good gift to be here and I have been blessed and humbled by what a good experience it was. I pray that the Kenyans have too been blessed.
My aunt Sherrie and the rest of the medical team has done a tremendous job this week. It's been surreal being in Africa with one of my relatives. Such a treat for me. It will be fun to compare stories with everyone when I go to Minnesota at the end of August for my future sister in laws' shower.
Instead of ancedotes (I will save those for next week so I can do them in person) I will end this update with one of the worship songs that my whole team knew before coming here except me. Now I have learned it too and it's one of my favs.
Pray for us next Monday around 4:00 or so your time as that is when we are flying out.
Talk to you soon for real,
Jessica
You Said
You said
Ask and you will receive
Whatever you need
You said
Pray and I'll hear from heaven
And I'll heal your land
You said
Your glory will fill the earth
Like water the sea
You said
Lift up your eyes
The harvest is here; the kingdom is near
You said
Ask and I'll give the nations to you, Oh Lord
That's the cry of my heart
Distant shores and the islands will sing your light
As it rises on earth
Do you Yahoo!?
Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
No comments:
Post a Comment