Wednesday, August 02, 2006

update #5 written originally on July 20 but wasn't posted for some reason

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his imcomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come." ~Ephesians 1:18-21
 
I was sitting in the KRPC church office in Kibera last week talking with Martha Makuku (the pastor's wife) about ministering in Kibera, and she shared the above verses with me. She said that they are words of great encouragement for the people of Kibera, who do often seem quite powerless to overcome their life situations. I've been reading over this passage a lot as well and thinking about my time and ministry particularly with KRPC and the Makuku's. Although I have greatly enjoyed all of the places where we have worked here in Nairobi, Kibera has been my favorite, and I have loved getting to know the Makuku's, especially Martha.
 
Kibera is the place where the movie "The Constant Gardener" was filmed. There is about 1 million people who live in 1 square mile in one-room houses made of tin, straw and mud. This is where the Kibera Refored Presbyterian Church (KRPC) is located and where Pastor Makuku and his wife minister alongside other Kenyans who help with the AIDS support groups, drop-in streetchild program, school, feeding program, etc.
 
At first walking into Kibera every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday seemed a bit daunting. We are always greeted by kids who shout "wazungu" (foreigners) and "how are you??". We always greet them by shaking their little hands or by glenching our fists to smack knuckles with them and saying "go-ta" which is like slum slang for hello. The sewage streams add to the anxiousness because we cross three of them just to enter Kibera and you cannot always see the rocks you have to step on. Steven found out the hard way one day that the sewage river is about 1 1/2 feet deep. I don't think he'll be wearing those pants again.
 
Once we're in KRPC we get together with the pastor and the other church staff to sing a Swahili song, an English song, and pray. Then we all head to our various ministry activities. As I am in the KRPC "health dept" I work with Mary Wangeshi mostly as I mentioned in a previous update. Wangeshi, as she is called because everyone is named Mary, and I have gotten to develop a neat relationship. I have loved getting to know her and her life and how much she knows about health and HIV. She leads the AIDS support group and also does a feeding program for mothers and children who are HIV +. So depending on the day we might visit people in their homes, attend the support group, distrbute food, and talk with anyone that comes by with a need.
 
Wangeshi has an amazingly difficult job as everyone she ministers too is usually quite ill amongst having many other concerns. So it can get quite draining. For example, one woman named Evelyn this week shared in group that in addition to being HIV+ some tests showed that she has breast cancer. She also has 7 kids, three of which are triplets, and she has a difficult time finding enough food for everyone and to have enough good to take her ARV meds. So clearly it can be overwhelming.  I have enjoyed encouraging Wangeshi and providing her with a laugh or two when I can. She's also usually askes me to share a word of encouragement from the bible with people in the support group while she translates. This week I got to share my testimony and talk about my mother's passing away, and how even though it was incredibly difficult, God is still using that in my life. One of the main ways he does that is to minister to others who also suffer. I think it went well but it's always hard to tell in cross-cultural scenarios =).
 
My friend Mary Angela and her husband Michael attend the KRPC support group. I believe I've also mentioned them before. Please pray for them as Michael has been very ill and bedridden for the last 3 weeks. Both of them are HIV+ and one of their daughters is as well.
 
One neat thing to mention is that my aunt Sherrie and the rest of the medical team is joining us tomorrow and are staying through the time until we leave I think. So they are in the air as we speak. Sherrie will be able to stay at the same guest house but just down the driveway from where me and my team are staying. So I hope to get to see her bunch. I'm so excited!!
 
We also had a chance to go on a safari in Masai Mara (where Survivor Africa was filmed) July 13-14. It was the best one ever. We saw cheetas, hippos, elephants, buffalo, and lions, including one male lion that walked right by our van. Nightime was a little scary b/c we stayed in a lower budget place in tents where you could hear hyenas and other unidentified animals from the distance. It was really cool though and you could see a TON of stars.
 
It's really hard to believe that we will be flying out July 31. All of us are pretty sad to leave because we have all grown to love Kenya and the people here. It's been a humbling experience in many ways. I remember how anxious I was to come here and now I am anxious to leave. Such is life I guess. I've been praying a lot about how I will be able to continue to use this experience back in the states as I will still be in Atlanta for a while finishing up school and such. I know God will provide an open door somewhere. I really hope this is not my last time in Kenya.
 
I will end this update again with some fun antedotes. If I get a chance I will try to write again next week. Thanks again for all your notes and prayers and thoughts. They offer much encouragement to us.
 
Jessica
 
Antedotes:
-Being called a man because you can't handwash your clothes or cook very well.
-Seeing a matatu called the "bobo train".
-Watching the World Cup with the nuns who went crazy and even fake head butted each other after that happened in the game.
-Having goat tonight for dinner (I hope it's good!!!!!!!!!!)
-Having your team ask you if it's ok to buy a cow for one of our translators who needs 14 total in order to get married and only has 13 right now.
-Remembering that here, pets are meat.
-Realizing that teammate Fouk has a hidden talent as the "goat whisperer".
-Fitting 24 people into a 14 person matutu.
-Fitting 12 people into the pastor's 5 person suburu hatchback (there's always room in Africa they say).
-Kissing a giraffe at the giraffe sanctuary
-A cat going in and out of the church service and meowing the whole time.
-Seeing monkeys on the ride home.
-Finding hats in the church office that say "Jesus is my Boss".
-The church staff wearing the hats that say "Jesus is my Boss".


See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

waaaaaaaaaaiiiiittttt-- who's getting the 14th cow?!? Is it the one who needed some chickens, too??

-Matthew
www.xanga.com/foolishyetwise

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »