So yesterday was my birthday, and I was overwhelmed by how many people remembered and wished me well on my big 2-8. Thanks to modern technology, I received a lot of texts, facebook messages, and phone calls in addition to in-person well-wishes. I felt very, very loved so thanks to everyone! I'd like to give a shout out to my friends Gates and Melissa for giving me my first birthday wish by text message at 7:05am. That's dedication people. Jamie was still in bed but she gets the award for last in person wish award, and only person to wish me happy birthday by white board.
Last weekend I also helped celebrate my honorary nephew Quin's birthday who turned 3. Birthdays are so much fun when you are kids. It's like the best thing ever in the world for them. You definitely lose that as an adult. Anyway, my cousin Rochelle was there with her kids and with my birthday coming up the anticipation (at least in my mind) was building over what kind of gift Rochelle would get me this year. Over the years we have been cousins/friends there has been many "thoughtful" gifts given by her to me (she's much more creative than me in this realm). I'll recap some of the most memorable here:
-for my 17th (probably) birthday, receiving a male beta fish that we promptly overfed and killed. Luckly Petsmart had a 7 day money-back guarantee on fish, so Rochelle told me we should freeze it and bring it back. I remember slapping it on the counter in a ziplog baggie and demanding a refund. They gave me a female beta fish (which look different) and it lived for 3 years. I named it Xena. My mom had to begrudingly take care of it while I was in college.
-for my 22nd birthday/graduation from college, receiving a bread maker. I was pretty stoked about it but then lost steam when I realized it actually took many hours to bake. At that time, if it couldn't be microwaved, I couldn't handle it.
-for my 26th (roughly) birthday, receiving warm socks imported from like Scotland or something and a pink diamond studded watch. I never got so many compliments as I did with that watch. I lost it in Minnesota about a year ago and was pretty sad. I still have the socks and they were very appreciated especially in Kenya last summer when it was freezing in our house.
-for my 27th birthday, receive an electronic jar opener. I've used it twice. It's pretty powerful.
-this year, I got a Starbucks gift card. More functional than creative, but still much appreciated. Frappicino here I come!!
2 comments:
you froze the fish?!? that's hilarious! my beta died after my friend accidentally fed it ink. they're tough little suckers.
Happy belated birthday, Jess. It sounds like you've had some good ones over the years. I hear you about the breadmaker, too! We borrowed my mom's breadmaker when I was in college, and it was cool until we found out how tricky it is to make a really good loaf of bread.
By the way, a "loaf" is a rather odd unit of measurement, don't you think?
Post a Comment