After owning my bike for two months, I finally had my first bike accident yesterday. It's sort of like a right of passage, especially knowing so many brave survival stories of bike experts in my life of people that have gone before me like Stephen Tynes, Angie, Kate, and Courtney.
My accident, in a nutshell, consisted of me flying over my handbars and sliding, on my face mostly, on somebody's front lawn until my momentum finally ceased. Did anyone witness it?
Ohhhhhh yeah.
All in all though, I left my accident largely unharmed. I had to spit out some grass that was in my mouth and ice up my nose a bit when I got home. I know I had to of scared the crap out of the dad and his two kids who witnessed the whole thing and were the big reason I ended up in the grass anyways. I was trying to avoid running into them on the sidewalk we shared. When I sat up and declared "that's why I wear a helmet" and they realized I wasn't bleeding or anything, they could close their mouths that were gaping open in surprise and move on with their bike ride. Probably too everyone who was driving on Chamblee-Tucker road about 4:45pm yesterday got a pretty good chuckle!
But that's ok though. I'm a seasoned bike rider now.
Plus, I got a compliment on my bike by the kids' dad, who thought it was pretty awesome. I was definitely proud to say: "Oh thanks. And I got it at Target."
5 comments:
jess, it still makes me laugh! and it had my coworkers laughing today at work. all good bike accidents involve some sort of face plant, hopefully now you've met your quota!
:O) jess, i know that this was a little traumatic at first, and i do have to apologize for laughing the first time you told us about this, but i also have to say that i laugh again everytime i think about it :o) i don't know what i would have done if i had seen it myself!
Oh..don't worry. It was funny. I would have laughed too except I was in shock I was still alive.
woohoo a mention on the blog! I, thankfully, haven't had a bike accident since I was little, but I still bare the scars on my palms.
oh, man. it was good to hear/read that story again. I feel a bit sheepish having made it on this post when I haven't had a bike accident (yet). (eek - that's the sort of thing you're not supposed to say aloud.) well, I did fall off a bike in Slovakia. Maybe that counts.
Post a Comment