Friday, September 07, 2007

Things that make me smile

Sometimes thoughout my week I catch myself having the same thoughts over and over again that usually surround the counseling conversations and relationships with people that I interact this week. For me this seems to get me worried, although I want to keep thinking about all these things in hopes that by the time I see the person again I will be more ready. But really, it kind of gets me down and prevents me from the joyful things that happen each day.

I started wondering, in light of this, what makes me smile. This way I have something to direct my thoughts towards when I'm driving home, fresh off of a stressful phone call or situation that will bring some joy and a smile right away. Here's some of the things I came up with:

-my cat's new favorite sleeping place, which for some reason is on the landing on the top of the stairs. When she's sleeping there and you get home and walk through the door, you can look up the stairs and she'll roll over so all you can see is her cute little face. You also can't help but stoop down to pet here on your way to your room.
-getting to counsel an adolencent for the first time, and really liking it and it going well.
-my teacher Deanne Terrell, who's always super southern and genuinely warm to each student.
-"Punchy" and "Margharita" Amy
-getting to see Erica several times over the weekend and making a huge deal out of seeing her like it's been years or something.
-the trees above my back porch
-when my neighbor does not have all of his contracting buddies over all day long working on his house.
-Jamie and Nathan's wedding
-when Jamie tells me an MTW story I can relate to
-my brother's dog who licks the air when there's no one around to lick
-the missionaries I've helped over the years
-the last session with my client when we got to pray together for the first time
-fantasy football
-talking in a ghetto voice
-bible verses from 1 John

I'm sure there are more, but this is a good start to thoughts that I've got to keep on hand.

-

2 comments:

crooked deep down said...

I, personally, still smile whenever I think of someone saying "Asante sana to YOU."

...but that's just me.

sringsmuth said...

Nice list, Jess. Everyone should have one of these. :)