Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I am a Snowboarder



Already an accomplished skier (at least I was in 1997), I somehow got roped into snowboarding over my Christmas break. Here are the pictures to prove it.

Minnesota was in the middle of their third warmest winter on record (piping hot at 35 degrees), so as you can see clearly the only snow in the area was the man made stuff on the Afton slopes.

As soon as we parked and got out of the car, Melissa asked me if I was regular or goofy. Good question. While I was pondering into her inquisitive prodding, she shouted "look at that van over there" and then shoved me from behind. I was like "what the crap Melissa are you doing" and basically she was proving to me that I was "regular" which means I would snowboard with my left foot first. When she shoved me I stepped forward with my left foot. I was hoping learning this stuff would be much simpler from there on out.

Snowboarding was indeed a lot more fun then I thought. My cousin Jamie and I were assisted by her sisters and snowboarding experts, Melissa and Sam, who taught us first how to stop and then how to do the "falling leaf" which is the motion you make going down the hill. It really is as pleasant as it sounds, until you hit a rough patch and slam face down into the snow.

I never got off the bunny hill the whole time and only made it down the hill twice without falling, but it was worth it. Somehow I felt a little "cooler" being on a snowboard then skies. Oh yeah baby. I snowboarded for about four hours total, until Jamie mentioned she was bruised enough and could probably give it a rest for the day. She has a season pass though, and I didn't. But she could realistically use this skill, and I can't.

But be on the lookout for me next year, slicing it up on the 'board, regular-style.

No comments: