I know this sounds totally insensitive to write that. However, if you've lost a parent I think you'd agree that there's something about that experience that makes you feel like you're a member in some weird club that you never, ever wanted to be in. Most people my age, in America, have both of their parents stilll living. They might not have the best relationships with them, or get to see them much, or even know who they are, but they are alive.
My coworker and friend, Allie, is dating this cool guy named Mark. He came up to visit us at MTW this week for lunch. Mark actually went to Berry like Jamie and I (a bit before our time though) so we were asking him how he ended up at Berry, etc. Through this we discovered that Mark's dad passed away when he was only 18. Later on, the conversation turned to me about how I got to Berry, and then it somehow also came out that my mom died when I was 22. Mark said that he actually heard me mention this before, when he and Allie and I were at our work Christmas party, apparently I said something about "when my mom passed away." Mark said that when I said that, his ears immediately perked up. It's just funny because I know exactly what he means. When I hear about people who lose a parent at a young age I feel connected with them in a strange way, because it's rare thing to have that in common with someone. Mark phrased it as "being in the dead parent club".
It's odd hearing it, but true and real in the same way. I'm in the club. With Mark, and few others.
1 comment:
My dad's mom died when he was sixteen. My grandfather was actually investigated as her possible murderer, though he was never charged. How's that for a wierd club? I think I told you that story before though...
Post a Comment