Monday, October 16, 2006

What's in a pack

Ok, several people on my "My name is Jimmy" post asked me what was in a homeless pack.

First off, I will give credit to where credit is due for the idea. It's actually Christy Norwood's brainchild.

What you do is get a large gallon size baggie (I feel like I'm about to describe how my dad's makes UFO's, except the main difference is that homeless packs shouldn't be on fire or you're making them wrong) and put all kinds of things in it that you think a homeless person would like. I guess we hit the mark because both Jimmy and then Tommy last Friday were excited to get them. Here's what we put in them:
-travel size toothpaste and toothbrush
-purell wipes and hand sanitizer
-kleenex
-gift certificates for grocery stores
-high protein granola or cereal bar
-wet ones
-MARTA passes (bus/train in Hotlanta)
-phone card
-travel size first aid kit
-Bible verse
-phone numbers for homeless resource centers in Atlanta

I'm sure there are many other good items out there. Anyway, I just got a bunch of people together and asked them to bring something and help me make them. I've got about 25 of them. I keep about 4 in my car at all times. When I encounter someone while I'm driving (I only do this during the day) I just roll down my window and ask them if they would like one. I try to get their name and shake their hand and strike up a small conversation. Now Jimmy was real nice and polite but Tommy proceeded to compliment me first on my hair and then my legs so I was like..umm..but he said to take it like a compliment and I said ok and he was nice outside of that. Anyway, who knows what you'll encounter, but I've been enjoying it so far. We'll see what God does with it.

1 comment:

Mary Bell said...

thanks!! great idea!! I will share this with our girls bible study.

I liked that pic of you and jamie too!!!

have a good week!!!

later, mary bell