I finally got to hand out a homeless pack yesterday.
I was pulling off 85 south on the ramp to Pleasantdale Rd which leads to my house when I saw an older looking man with a sign. Of course my pack was covered by my other stuff from the day so I frantically searched with my right hand to grab it while maintaining driving in the lane.
Fortunately the light turned red because I thought I was going to have to give it to him real quick as I drove by. My window was already rolled down and he saw my bag hanging out the window. He walked slow up to my car and I said "you're welcome to have this" and handed it to him. He said, "thank you. This will help so much. God bless." His sign read "travelling to a new job, any help you can give. God bless". Pretty unique I would say.
I leaned out the window with my right hand to shake his and asked "what's your name?"
"Jimmy," he said.
"I'm Jessica," I said.
"God bless you," he said again, with much appreciation.
Jimmy, I hope you enjoy it.
4 comments:
jess, i think those homeless packets are a good idea, what did ya'll put in them??
hope your week is going well so far!!!
later, mary
Hi Jessica. This is Leah -- from Intown, from Community Group. I found your blog last week after my sister linked me to Courtney's. At any rate, this story is cool. I have passed homeless people as I got off the interstate and wanted to help but didn't know how. What are these bags you give them?
So exciting that you got to use one! I think that is such a great idea Jessica.
Ok, now I have to know too! I've given out food and gift certificates for food, but something like this seems much cooler. What should I put in one of these "packs?"
Post a Comment