Monday, January 23, 2006

My work retreat last weekend

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go on a retreat with a few other departments at MTW that focused on how to better care for our missionaries. It was very refreshing and we were able to have great discussions on obstacles that missionaries face and how we as people who want to support them sometimes feel inadequate and frustrated. After the retreat I felt a sense of being able to ask better questions and to also get into more of the root issue behind questions that we are often asked in the office. Sometimes I do get burned out in this job because as office support for missionaries it's easy to feel like you are there to be "dumped on" with problems. There were actual MTW missionaries that came to this retreat and between the two couples they had over 80 years of experience on the mission field. The real-life stories and experiences that they shared were so special and valuable to us.

On this retreat I heard the neatest thought about how God views us when we are Christians: "When the Lord looks down on you, the Son gets into His eyes."

Which reminded me of this verse: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." ~Galatians 2:20.

And this one: "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~ John 8;12

How cool is it to know that it is not I, but Christ He sees? It was a great reminder.

1 comment:

kate said...

Hey Jessica, I just enjoyed looking through your blog...and being thoroughly disturbed by that dog. Feels strange the 'miners' weren't on that top ten list just now.