We have been reading my favorite book in this month's book club: Evidence Not Seen. It's a missionary biography about a woman named Darlene Deibler Rose when she was a missionary in Southeast Asia during WW2. It's a very intriging book. Here's an excerpt from it, in Darlene's own words, from when she was imprisoned for many months by the Japanese army and was greatly physically and emotionally abused. My hope and prayer is that I can also really live like this:
"Lord, I believe all that the Bible says. I do walk by faith and not by sight. I do not need to feel You near, because Your Word says You will never leave me nor forsake me. Lord, I confirm my faith; I believe." The words of Hebrews 11:1 welled, up, unbeckoned, to fill my mind: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." The evidence of things not seen. Evidence not seen- that was what I put my trust in- not in feelings or moments of ecstasy, but in the unchanging Person of Jesus Christ. Suddenly I realized that I was singing:
When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
I was assured that my faith rested not on feelings, not on moments of ecstasy, but on the Person of my matchless, changless Savior, in Whom is no shadow caused by turning.
No comments:
Post a Comment