This week I've really been questioning this choice of going back to school. I think these feelings are rather normal, because whenever you make a big, life-altering decision you're going to go through times of doubt. My friends have been encouraging, and God has been reassuring me that this is still His plan.
Last night I was driving home from class and in my mind I asked myself why I was getting a counseling degree. I think this stemmed not only from my doubt-infestive thoughts, but from my professor who always asks us a question, then waits for our answer, then says "why do you think that?" so you immediately regret giving an answer. So I was doing it to myself. Why? Why this degree? To what end am I pursuing this?
I came up with three answers (it's a 30 min drive from my school to home):
1. I love missions.
2. I love Mission to the World.
3. I love missionary care.
Getting a counseling degree will give me a specific skill that will fit into my calling and gifts, and allow me to reach out to missionaries and do ministry even better.
I don't know how this is going to look yet-if it will be overseas, in the states, or a mixture a both. But I am forging ahead, taking it one day at a time.
Only three more years to go...
2 comments:
Jess! Keep it up. I know how frustrating it can be... juggling work, school, church, and a social life. But keep pushing and it will all be worth it. I sometimes view school as them trying to test you and see if you really can make it versus really learning something you will use later in your career. Because I can guarantee I will not be balancing our corporations budget or calculating the cash flows... Ha ha. But I did pass my first accounting exam. 1 down, 3 more to go!
Love ya,
Danielle
I'm so happy to hear you've started with your classes! and from what i've seen up here in Patrick and his classmates, it's definitely not uncommon to regularly question why you're in school, if you should be there, etc. I'm happy you're sticking with it after this round of evalutation. I think you'll love the feeling of accomplishment with a semester/year behind you too. You'll make a great counselor too, by the way:)
Post a Comment