Thursday, February 28, 2008

Well Happy Valentines Day to you!

Being single, I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day. However, this year I was able to spend V-day night at dinner with my friend Lisa and a few others at Figo, which probably is my favorite Italian place in Atlanta. Lisa was leaving to spend the next year in Cambodia with International Justice Mission, working to help women who have been exploited through sex trafficking. Lisa just graduated with her Masters in Social Work, which is a very similar degree to mine so we always have lots to talk about! Lisa and I spared everyone our counselor-ese though and just enjoyed the company of her before she flew off to the land of motorcycle taxis!

Of course, I couldn't leave the ultra-cool and ultra-liberal Edgewood area without an incident, again, with my bumper stickers. This time it was from a woman who was walking behind my car with her boyfriend. I was in the car waiting for them to walk around so I could back out. When they were taking a while I looked behind me and noticed they were looking down at my bumper. I knew something was up. They walked by and then she caught my gaze. She proceeded to look me straight in the eye and flip me off. Wow. That was bold. So of course I had to step it up a notch. I rolled down my window and said "I'd be happy to talk about it if you want" referring to my bumper stickers, one of which says "Equal Rights for Unborn Women." She looked back with her mouth wide open. She tried to say something like "what about the women's rights? They have rights too." And I said, "right, I agree, I just think they should be equal. That's why the bumper sticker says that." She just stared, and then her boyfriend led her away. I called out "have a good night."

Whatev Edgewood,.....I am not the one who is close-minded for the love of pete!!

No comments: