Thursday, March 15, 2007

Spring no break

The first week of March was my spring break officially, so I did the typical spring break thing and went down to Florida.

Ok, technically my break was a bit different then the MTV version, but hey, I was still in Florida!!

I went down the first weekend to visit my friends Magdalena and Paul who moved to Tampa last summer. They were so hospitable and I'm totally convinced the best cooks around (besides the McNay's, oh, and my ATL cousins, and Nathan's desserts..oh and..) They were total farmers market shoppers when they lived here in Atlanta so you can get an idea of what kinds of stuff they make. For example, we had homemade basil rolls for lunch when I got there with this amazing straight-out-of-Asia sauce and then homemade pizza (including the crust) one night for dinner. I also got to go to the beach, visit some local sites, go to two amazing restaurants, and see two movies I had been dying to see. Not to mention the great conversations in between and the occasional mofia sighting. All in all, it was grand.

As soon as I got back though it was 100% full-force into schoolwork even though I didn't have class that week. I was scheduled to take a class the last Fri/Sat/Sun of my spring break, which was last weekend. The teacher was Dr Larry Crabb, whom some of you know, is a famous Christian psychologist, author, and speaker. I think because of his name and schedule I'm hoping that's the only time Dr Crabb could come and my school doesn't have a personal vendetta out against the students.

I wasn't sure what to expect out of the class. I knew it was going to be pretty large and I wasn't star struck about the whole thing like some of the students. But, as usual the Lord humbled me and gave me some really key insights that I want to use someday not only with clients but also just with people in general. Like when you get a chance to go deeper with someone beyond "so how was your weekend". I also learned a lot about myself. His main emphasis was that bottom line, we are all sinners and in order to change, we need Christ. Amen, brother.

If you're interested in reading one of his books I would recommend "The Pressure's Off". We had to read it for the class and it was one of my faves.

1 comment:

Nathan Smith said...

Thanks for the shout out Jess! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. What restaurants did you get to eat at down there?