Monday, March 26, 2007

Singles Group Adultery

Last night I committed singles group adultery and went with my friend Morgan to her singles group at Church of the Apostles. It meets at night, so it doesn't interfere with my singles group so I am hoping that lessons my offense.

I mostly went because I wanted to "meet people" which is single-people-code-language for meeting people of the opposite sex. Morgan had really good things to say about her group and it sounded about three times the size of mine so I thought what the heck. I'll get out of my box and try it out.

Basically I was more enamored with the awesome praise and worship and the challenging message the speaker gave more then the guys, but I guess that's a good thing. They have praise and worship just for their young adults group with a wide array of musical talents. I didn't know any of the songs so it was fun to get to learn new ones. The worship style was a lot more contemporary then my church so it was a fun/interesting change. I also got to wear a nametag with an orange dot on it. The whole time I was wondered what would happen to the orange dot people. At the end Morgan informed me that the leadership is supposed to invite me out for free Starbucks. Now that's a deal. I didn't take them up on it this time, but apparently I can get an orange dot nametag again and no one will be none the wiser.

I did meet one guy named...ummm....oh crap......Jim maybe who seemed quite nice. Mission accomplished?

Someone asked me this weekend how I normally meet guys if I don't go to bars. It was a hard question for me to answer. I have great guy friends from my church and I occasionally meet new guys through there, but it's not often. And naturally those relationships don't, and shouldn't always turn into more then friends. Online dating is usually what people suggest I try. I did give that a whirl once about a year ago but man it was so much work emailing and emailing. And I don't have time to be a slave to the computer right now for little chance of return.

So basically I resort to the occasional singles group adultery, which at least at the bare minimum affords some awesome opportunities to worship and learn something new.

OH and trusting God. After all, He's the ultimate orchestrator of all things, right? =)

1 comment:

sringsmuth said...

Singles Group Adultery, eh? Doesn't sound so bad, especially if it may lead to free Starbucks (though Caribou would, of course, be better). Good luck with the dating scene, Jess, and keep on staying away from bars. Remember, the kind of people you would meet at a bar are the kind of people who would go to a bar to meet people.