Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Two internships

I decided last Wednesday to take the internship opportunity I was offered MARR. I knew as soon as I did that, I would finally hear back from the other places I had also submitted my resume too.

Sure enough, that night and then two days later on Friday afternoon I got phone calls from two of the other places. Fortunately it sounded like neither one would be a good fit anyhow. So I was still feeling really good about my decision.

On Monday afternoon while I was eating lunch and watching the last 15 minutes of "The View" I got a phone call from the person who called me on Friday, asking me if he could at least tell me about the internship possibility I had previously applied for even though I already made a commitment somewhere else. It's nice to be fought over, but at the same time I wasn't going to back out on decision I already made. That's just jerky. However my curiosity was peaked because this guy is a psychologist who works with assessing missionaries for Operation Mobilization, so I couldn't pass this up.

Apparently four times a year OM has assessment weeks for their two year missionaries and this psychologist is currently assessing around 40 people each time basically on his own in addition to his own clients that he sees in his private practice. He would love to have someone from PSI who has a missions background to be able to help him and he would do all the training and supervision for the intern so it's not like I would be doing this all on my own. After seeing my resume he said he would email me more information and if I would consider helping him out a couple of days during these assessment weeks. I would still be able to stay at MARR and get all the hours and great experience there and then probably help him out on those days when he needs help and still get more experience counseling/assessing missionaries which is what I want to do with my degree.

Basically, the best of both worlds. And now I have not one but potentially two really great internships.

I had no idea what to expect when I began this process but never this. It's really amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jess! this is so cool...very cool to be fought over, but also that God provided 2 internships for you, so that you can have more experiences! :o)

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Shut-up! Great news, when it rains, it pours.

Anonymous said...

Seriously

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Enjoy both jobs and I'm sure God will point you in the right direction when your internship is done.
Love, Ann