Last Wednesday, two days before I got the below rejection letter, I had an interview at my third potential internship placement site. This one was with an organization called MARR which is a rehab facility for substance abusers. It came highly recommended by previous interns and the location is literally 10 minutes from my house. Even though I wasn't totally sure if working in addictions is where I want to be long term, all the research I did about the place only peaked my interest more. Obviously, it helps too that I could actually get a hold of someone and go in for an interview!
So last week I went in and met with the woman who would be my supervisor. She asked me some great questions and allowed me to ask a few of my own, which helped me get a much clearer picture of what I would be doing. Basically, the interns work at the men's recovery center, sitting in on group therapy for a while and then eventually I could work up to doing a group on my own. I found out in a class from last semester that doing group therapy is an interest of mine. I also would be talking with the patients' families, helping to educate them on the process and keeping them updated on how therapy is going for their loved one. The whole place seemed very positive and well-run. Throughout the interview I was getting much more encouraged about this whole thing, considering I have no background in additions at all! But part of doing an internship I think is getting more tools in your toolbox, plus it would be good for me to do something totally outside my box, which is what I told her in the interview.
Clearly I was getting used to the normal ambiguous response at the end of the interview which goes something like "we'll let you know" because I found myself choking back tears when they offered me the internship position at the end of the interview! Technically I'm still thinking about it, but more then likely I'm going to do it. I still have my resume out at four other places, but this is probably the best fit in many ways.
Ok...back to studying. I have two midterms this week..oh the JOY.
2 comments:
and the final awesome thing about the internship...two blocks from the McNay house!!!!
have you read Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave? ... just started it ... so far so good ... i recommend it
Post a Comment