Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Cooking Adventures

Seemingly every time I try to cook something it turns into some kind of adventurous escapade. I can safely make things like turkey burgers, oatmeal, macaroni and cheese, and the like. But beyond that, even with slice and bake cookies, there has been some serious disasterage.

This week I volunteered to have our monthly dinner for six group over at my house. I found a new receipe from Julie for "Chunky Beef Texas Chili" which I figured I could cook in the crockpot while I was at work. The night before, I bought all of the ingredients, drove home from the grocery store and got everything out the bags. So far all was well. The adventure occured when I realized I had to slice up all 8 pounds of meat I bought into 1/2 inch slices. It took me about an hour. I stored all of the pieces in two generic-brand gallon-sized baggies (click here for pic). Therein did the second mistake lie. I found out that those bags do not withstand the gentle arm-swinging that comes with trying to freak your roommate out by aiming the bulging bags of meat at her face.

My next adventure will be to make this corn casserole for Sunday's Thanksgiving lunch that we're having after church. I got the receipe from my Uncle Andy and I've made it once before so I'm pretty hopeful it will turn out. It's one of those mix-the-stuff-together-and-bake sort of deals. I also was "informed" at work today that this receipe should be called Northern corn bread. If you're going to be there Sunday I'll let you be the judge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to know which of your poor roommates was subject pounds of chunky meat flying in their face.

jessrings said...

Erica!

She always brings out this crazy side in me.

Anonymous said...

Jess,

I swear you make me luagh everyday with the things that happen to you. The baggie thing is almost as good as my exploding glass cake pan. I have to make the corn thing too for thanksgiving.

Enjoy...Andy

jessrings said...

Thanks Andy! They sure are fun to write. I remember that cake pan story and all the glass everywhere!!

By the way, great job on the deer and if I can figure out what's wrong with posting pics I might post those pics that Sherrie sent on this so you can be famous!!

And..I think I can get one free personal training time with a trainer at my gym, so I'm going to try it out!!