It's interesting how some doors open and not others.
As I sat in class this weekend, I was thinking about how I will be able to better financially support myself once I graduate and will be out in the world with this degree, hopefully employed. For some reason this had never occurred to me before. That it's possible I could be making some money. I thought that was kind of cool.
Ever since graduating from undergrad, I've thought a lot about what I want to do as far as a career. For me it took working for a few years and being in the "real world" to decide on my next step.
Working at MTW has definitely been a wide open door to many possibilities for me. I've learned so much about missions and the process of going overseas as a missionary. It was through my experiences there mainly that I started to consider a counseling degree.
As I look around me it doesn't take too long to notice that for many my age the open door has been marriage and the changes that come with that. For me that door is still not open, however much I would like it to be. God still seems to have other plans.
Although I have never really considered myself to be a career-orientated person, I can see God developing in me a desire to do well and succeed in this program. I am genuinely excited to see what else comes with this new path. I am also excited to see how this will work with a previous goal of mine which was to spend some time overseas as a missionary. That desire is definitely still alive.
I had the opportunity to recently attend a conference on counseling in the disater relief setting. MTW regularly sends teams when disaster strikes that include medical personnel, construction folks, and counselors (even without degrees). It is a dangerous and emotionally taxing ministry. But I think my personality, gifts, and current single status may be a good fit for that kind of work. It's an open door worth exploring.
What will be next?
2 comments:
that sounds like a perfect career for you. i hope you stay affectionately in love with God through all the buisness and serious parts of life.
Jesse, the key is to always look for the open doors. Keep your options open no matter how many you open and close behind you!!! God, will lead you, the key is having the faith to follow when presented with an open door. YOu have been a great example of this faith journey. Keep following the signs!!!
Love, Uncle Al
Post a Comment