
Just before I went to Minnesota for the 4th of July extravaganza with the Rausch family, I finished reading a book called "The Secret Life of Bees". If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend it. It's about a group of women who bond together over the hardships and racism that cross their paths in rural South Carolina in the 1960's. After I finished the book and discussed it thoroughly with my fellow book club members, I put it on the shelf thinking I had exhausted all possibilities of bringing it up anymore. Not so. If you've read the book, you soon notice that one of the key parts of the these women's lives is something called "The Daughters of Mary." Simply defined, the DOM is a homeade religion that creates an outlet for followers to bond, fellowship, worship, and enjoy each other. Us Rausch women totally had a DOM moment this weekend as my cousin Danielle dazzled us with various Mary Kay products at her MK party she hosted. It was soo much fun. Danielle was a trooper too because we gave her a lot of crap, especially about the Mary Kay pin she proudly wore throughout the party.
We joked, laughed, complimented each others makeup, laughed some more, and drank some cocktails compliments of my cousin Kristy's husband Chad, who humored us by being the cabana boy. It was a great time to be a Rausch. It's neat how such a simple event turned into more time for us to bond as a family and enjoy each other's company, something that I do not get to do often as I live so far away. It did make me miss my mom, and I assume that others who were there last weekend also had similar thoughts of longing for her joyful presence, hearty laugh, and witty comments. But it is good that we forge on making new memories, while still thinking fondly of the old.
Oh, and about the picture. I wanted to post a picture of my little plane buddy, Quin, who is one of my honorary nephews. His mother is my cousin-in-law Natalie, and she ended up going to visit fam as well and left on the same day as I did, and we were able to get on the same flight and sit next to each other! As you can see, Quin is quite the cutie, and his size definitely addes to the cuteness, which everyone in the airport also seemed to notice and would comment on it. But the most random comment came from one of the flight attendants as Natalie and I were boarding the plane. When we were stepping into the plane this flight attendant had a grin on her face and was looking at Quin, so I thought we were about to hear another round of "ooohhh-he-is-so-cute", but instead this came out of her mouth: "WOW, what a whopper." Natalie, being the good sport she is, just smiled and said something nice. Being single with no kids, it was especially interesting to see how many strangers would talk to us because of him, and what they would have the nerve to say!!!
4 comments:
It was wonderful seeing you this past weekend. I enjoyed sitting next to you during the MK show. Especially your shiny lips or should I say w_ _ lips. Will let others try to figure out what the word is. I hope to come visit you some time. Keep up the good work and good luck on your next missionary trip. Love, Ann
Are you using your Bronzer?????? You have such a healthy glow, ha ha. Thanks to Jim and not understanding the difference between oily and dry overnite lotion we were able to have the MK party. He brought Danielles whole kit! Danielle did take a lot of crap from us and there were lots of laughs. I agree we all at some point were thinking of your Mom, cause she's the one who started us all on Mary Kay. I'm sure she was grinning ear to ear as she watched from up above! Love you, Aunt Deb
We had the best time! One can always count on a good laugh when were together. I think of your mom often and know that she was with us that day. I'll never forget her laugh! Thanks for keeping us updated and entertained, with the happening of your life through this blog. It's truly enjoyable. Love, kmk
Ah, the MK party. You know one of my favorite memories of your mom was her doing the MK makeover on me before my big winter high school dance. She was able to cover up the eyebrow wax burns I had gotten from the salon (bad bad idea) and no one even noticed! That was a great memory. I have no doubt she was there with us in the porch. Probably encouraging the laughter! Love, Danielle
Post a Comment