In light of the below post, check out www.one.org. It's the website started I believe by Bono (U2), who's a huge activist in the fight against AIDS and poverty in Africa. Because I work closely with many of our missionaries in Africa, I've also become more aware of the plight of the people of that continent. I looked at this site last week in light of the G8 conference and the Live 8 concerts going on. It's interesting stuff and I feel like it's a cause that many people in the First World are taking on and are working towards raising money and awareness- from Hollywood stars to ordinary folks.
My roommates and I have been watching the reruns of the Live 8 concerts this afternoon. Pretty good stuff. I think they worked too because the G8 summit reached an agreement to give over 50 billion dollars to people in Africa (see http://www.live8live.com/ for more info).
Also, here's a shameless plug for the movie "Hotel Rwanda". If you haven't seen it, definitely go out and rent it. It exposes another continual problem in Africa- civil war. And it talks about what the First World can do to help.
No comments:
Post a Comment