Friday, December 19, 2008

Draggin'

This week has kind of dragged by. I was supposed to work today and only have Tuesday and Thursday off. But Anchor called me yesterday and asked me to wait to come in until after Christmas since they don't have a lot of patients right now due to the holiday coming up. Also, there was no sense in me training when I am leaving for Minnesota tomorrow and will probably forget what I learned over the week+ I would be gone from Anchor. So it was good logic by my new boss there. She's got me scheduled for several days after Christmas, praise the Lord. I need the money and something to do. 

I did have a great Monday and Wednesday at MARR, by other place of employment. My officemate is very much into the holiday cheer. I told her I wasn't really big on Christmas and she said "don't worry, keep trying, you'll get there." I liked that. It sounded like I wasn't completely hopeless.

It is weird spending a whole day talking to no one. This happens somewhat often since I was laid off. That's what happened yesterday. Well, I did talk to my roommate on the phone and I did talk to the insurance customer service rep to find out about COBRA benefits. But to have no real human conversation until my small group at 7:00pm is still kind of weird. I got a lot done yesterday, cleaned the house, etc. I long for a week though when I am working and have more to do. Let's pray big for January when both facilities I work at are expected to have more patients! I know they are out there, but they need the resources and motivation to COME IN.

Today since I was unexpectedly off, I treated myself by going to see the movie Twilight. My friends went to see it while I was in DC in November, and since I've read the books too it was a must see. I really liked it, actually. It reminded me though of why I had a hard time with parts of the book. It's the same thing about Christmas I don't like. It's the whole "magic" thing. You know, that unexpected excitement and anticipation of something coming that's awesome and unknown. In the Twilight series it is love between Bella and Edward. They just feel differently with each other and it's unexplainable. It's the same feeling a lot of people get around Christmastime. That there's something different about it, that the unexpected happens, that joy and hope somehow can break through any barrier this time of year. I just don't believe in that. I do believe in Jesus, and the Hope He brings when you're in relationship with Him. But I don't think that's particularly magical. I like C.S. Lewis's description of Jesus as the Lion, he does not always feel safe but He good.

Maybe it's like my coworker said, someday I might experience and believe in this magic, at Christmastime, or otherwise. For now, I am just satisfied in the fact that Christmas gives me a great reason to see my family which lives so far away, and God has blessed me in that I really rarely feel alone and my needs are taken care of this season.

1 comment:

sringsmuth said...

Merry Christmas, Jess! I hope you're getting more human interaction up in Minnesota. All I want for Christmas is a picture of you driving a snowmobile.