I have this constant, overwhelming sense that nothing really is my life is "normal".
I don't work in the MTW office anymore, so I mostly get the scoop from my roommate Jamie. When I listen to the stories I realize that I can go days without ever thinking about missions or missionaries. For example, our huge Global Missions conference is this weekend and she was telling me about all the missionaries who are going to be there and I was like...oh yeah ...there will be missionaries there! I was looking forward to seeing a lot of my Kenya teammates and the Makuku's, but I got about Tom Courtney and Alan Boal and Ken Matlack and those other cool folks that MTW is blessed to have. It wasn't too long ago that missions was my whole life. Now if I think about missions, I think about Kenya and going back there. Or reminding myself to call recruits. And that's about it.
I think with Jamie getting married in 72 days (my dress came in today!!!) and looking forward to that and living with Amy Mo, I am excited but also weirded out. I haven't had a new roommate in a while. I'm pretty adaptable but it will just be weird to like talk to Jamie on the phone and then like set up times to hang out.
This week at my internship was family workshop week where families come and learn more about the disease of addiction and how it's really a family disease that affects them too. On Thursday afternoon we have a group therapy time where the patients and family members share with each other, in front of everyone else, how their loved one's disease has impacted them and vice versa. It's really powerful and painful. Afterward we have a debrief time with just the families. This time I co-lead the group and took the lead on a lot of the questions. For that hour I am the "expert" on helping families process what they go through with loved with one with an addiction. Could I have done that in April? No. That's weird.
In May I will be leaving MTW to find a job working full-time in counseling. Again, another weird, but I'm hoping it will be a culmination of all of this experience and my hard work in school. I hope it will be really great.
No comments:
Post a Comment