Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ultimate Comfort

In my Interpersonal Skills class today my professor posed this question: "What are some verses in the bible that show the importance of empathy to others?" It was really cool to see what my classmates and I came up with.

Here is a passage from 2 Corinthians chapter one that was one of the answers to that question: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

It was especially encouraging to me as I am working through some changes at work, with some of my relationships with friends, and I still miss Kenya an awful lot. It seems like many times these days I experience anything but comfort. I also found out that one of my dear Kenyan friends, Martha Makuku, is going through a really hard time because one of her best friends suddenly died in a car accident last week.

I emailed her these verses this morning and continue to pray for her. And, I too need to remind myself daily of the amazing comfort that comes only from an perfectly loving, comforting and empathetic Father.

Any more good verses you can think of about the importance of empathy for others?

No comments: