Monday, September 19, 2005

Thoughts on desire

Here is an excerpt from one of my school books called called "An Invitation to Solitude and Silence" by Ruth Barton. It's about the importance of having a time of solitute and silence to further your relationship with God. Anyway, I liked this section because it talks about desires, which is a topic that I think about quite often. What do we do with the desires we have for good things that aren't sin, but may not be the will of God? How do we give the desire over to God and not dwell on having it fullfilled? I read this section in the book and then went on a walk (where I always end up doing a lot of thinking) and I was listening to a Caedmon's Call song that was saying "I walk with grace, my feet and faith, my eyes" and suddenly it hit me. When I think about something that I desire, I can pray about it right then, that I would desire God more then this thing, and I would be fine with God's will no matter if the desire is fullfilled. Then I can have a God-centered perspective on the desire, plus I am asking often for my desire for God to be greater. Can't be a bad thing.

Here is the quote from the book:
"But the truth is that desire is the life-blood surging through the heart of the spiritual life. You may not realize it, but your desire for God is the truest and most essential thing about you...your desire for God and your capcity to connect with God as a human soul is the essence of who you are. But there is an even greater truth: before you were even aware of your desire for God, God desired you..we love God because He first loved us."

No comments: