
Last October, about a month before the presidential election, I woke up on a beautiful Saturday morning and drove to the local Publix to get some bagels. As I pulled into the parking spot, I noticed another car swinging into the spot next to me. I also got a glimpse of the driver, and boy did she look mad. I immediately thought maybe I cut her off accidentally or something, but I soon found out that it wasn't my driving that made her so aggravated, it was my bumper sticker (see below). We both got out of the car at the same time. As I was opening my door I saw her lean into my passenger side window, and say "George Bush is an arrogant --- hole". I was caught totally off guard. My response was "well I'm sorry you feel that way, m'am" which I think completely caught her off guard, because she cocked her head in a funny way and hurried into the store muttering to herself.
Ever since I was in college, I've been drawn to put controversial bumper stickers on my car. As you can see I also have this one (above) which demonstrates my passion for the pro-life movement. About two weeks ago as I was stopped at a stoplight in the left turn lane (Lavista and Clairmont), a car pulled up to my right and I could see the driver out of the corner of my eye moving her hands around. I reluctantly looked over and her, and the driver was flashing me a huge grin and giving me a thumbs up. She looked so joyful and eager to talk I decided to roll the window down. She told me how much this bumper sticker meant to her and how glad she was that there were people out there who believed the unborn's right to life. She also went on to say that she liked all of my bumper stickers. I was just eating this up of course. I said to her "I'm just trying to make a difference" and in response she said "OH you are, you are." I told her "you know, I've actually gotten some hostile comments from people for these bumper stickers" and she replied with "you know, it probably is the people who appreciate them the most that never say anything, so I'm glad for this light which allowed me to stop and commend you."
It's amazing what insights a few bumper stickers can drum up from my fellow Atlantans. And they sure do give me some great stories to share!
2 comments:
hey crazy. it's alicia from sweden. i love your prolife bumper sticker, and i'm proud of you. I miss you much!
Jess you kill me with your ways. I can just see you smiling at people remarks. Now get the one that says your kid beat up your honor roll child. But I already know that some day I will have the "Honor Roll" bumper sticker and will have it with pride.
Andy
Post a Comment