Yesterday I went with a group of students from my new school, PSI, and drove to my alma mater, Berry College to tackle the Winshape ropes course. One of the Phys Ed classes I took at Berry was on the ropes course, and it freaked me out pretty bad. I mean, you're suspended about 50 feet in the air by a rope attached to a guy you just met that day who's the same age as you except he's now reassuring you of your safety. Hmmmm. I wasn't convinced. I did enjoy it by the end of the class, especially getting to do the zip line which was tremendously fun. This time we didn't do the zip line, but knowing what to expect really helped me to relax. I had such a good time getting to know some of the folks at my school as we went through some of the activities. I made some new friends, two of which live just a few miles away from me which will be great. I know I mentioned this in my last blog, but I think what I'm most excited about at this point is the diversity of the student body. Although we're all Christians, I haven't met a single person who goes to a church in the same denomination as me, and most everyone I met come from a variety of church backgrounds. I even met a girl yesterday who's mom got her MDiv degree and is now a minister. I haven't met anyone like that in a while. I think I'm going to learn a lot from these folks and I hope they learn some things from me. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly too.
Whenever you do ropes course and team building activities, your facilitor always debriefs each activity with the group so you can start thinking right away about how to apply what you learned. I think for me I learned a lot about how I can be afraid of setting goals for myself because what if I don't attain them? I'd rather just work hard and "try my best" but for me that means I won't always challenge myself to reach my potential academically. And I think I can do really well academically. Like getting an A- average, which would be a 3.7 GPA. That's going to be my goal. Holy crap. But I know I can do it.
On the way home I was listening to Queen in my ipod and I thought I would share my favorite line from my favorite song: "I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman. All I want to do is bicycle."
No comments:
Post a Comment