Oh yes, I got my first ever jury summons yesterday. After being a faithful resident and voter of Dekalb County for three years, it is finally my turn to step up and become a part of our great justice system.
Fortunately, many have gone before me. Three out of my four roommates have made the trek to the courthouse in historic downtown Decatur at some point during our tenure in this county.
The plan is for me to call the day before and check to see if I even have to go. Then more then likely I'll go down to the courthouse and wait for my number to be called. My jury summons slip has labeled me #0396, which means that 0395 people will probably be called before me. This will all take place on October 4.
In light of this, I have created a top ten list of why I am excited to get a chance to be a juror:
10. Possible opportunities to each lunch and listen to karaoke at "My Friends Place" which is right behind the courthouse. Yes, it's a sandwich shop with random days of open mike nights and karaoke.
9. Wow will I get a lot of studying done while I wait.
8. Seeing people from my church on a Monday.
7. Declaring before everyone that yes, I have indeed had a run in with the law (but it was Gina's fault).
6. Convincing everyone else in the courtroom that "if the glove doesn't fit you must acquit"
5. Potential for free food and/or free movie watching.
4. Coming in contact with the same types of folks that my brother has to deal with every day.
3. Meeting all the other interesting people from Dekalb County.
2. Getting to use all my lay jury experience from watching Law & Order reruns.
1. The amazing $15+ paycheck.
1 comment:
I am sooo jealous. I have always wanted to be on a jury. They never pick me!!! Do you have any suggestions on how to make this happen for me as well?
Post a Comment