Wednesday, August 17, 2005

My new boss

I was just thinking last night that I've been lacking in good revelations to put on my blog, but then today I found out I'm getting a new boss and I had my new student orientation for school. So it was a day of mixed feelings and plenty of blog material. I LOVE the boss I've had, which in some ways is the only boss I've known since I'm in the same job I've had since college and he's worked there basically the whole time. I attribute many of my personal developments in character, career goals, and overall life experience to his patient leadership. But he's staying with MTW and will be working in a different leadership role that he'll be great at. And the new boss I'm getting is a fantastic guy. It's the current director of a dept that will in many ways be merged with mine. One of my roommates works in that dept and we know them well. But change is always hard. We'll have till Sept 1 to work through the transition, and then after that the change will be complete. I just found out this morning so it's still a shock.

My orientation though was super fun. I met a couple of new people that will be in my classes, and I got a ton of much needed information. It also was a confirmation that PSI (www.psy.edu) is the place for me at this time in my life. It's going to be a fantastic program. However, I was again faced with the realization that graduate school is going to be a ton of work. But I think I'm ready! I know this sounds funny, but I'm so excited too because one of the people that I really got to know today is black. I really don't have any friends that are black. PSI is pretty diverse, so I'm stoked about meeting folks outside of my normal bubble. And my new friend and I should have quite a few classes together on a consistent basis. Sweet!

No comments: