Saturday, July 05, 2008

I survived the Peachtree Road Race 2008 (and I got two sweet shirts!)






Our yearly quest to run the world's largest 10k and have the coolest shirts centered upon a Ringsmuth tradition this year.

To honor my many family members who are a part of the Ringsmuth Riders Unicycle Club, we created the Ringsmuth Riders Track Club, complete with an uncycle with feet icon. The back of the shirt sported a tribute to a personal fear of mine that I've become sort of well known for, which is being worried that if I ran too fast or too long, I might explode. I also like the word neat. All such affinities were used.

The Thursday night before the race (which is on the 4th every year), consisted of massive amounts of spagetti, planning, laughing, and ironing. Thanks to Courtney who printed out all the designs for everyone! They turned out pretty awesome. The next day we all got up before 6am to take MARTA to the race. A lot of us got in a really good time group (Christina and Jamie even had consecutive numbers-what are the chances???) and were all together in the 20,000's for the race. It was a TON of fun hearing the comments from other runners. One person even offered to hold my lung for me if it exploded. Wow. That's servanthood.

I really enjoyed running and walking the race this year, even though the finish line was far from the flat Piedmont Park and ended up the long hill on Juniper. I finished in 1.24.01 or so, which is pretty awesome for me. I think that's my best Peachtree time.

We finished the morning off with an amazing breakfast at Courtney's, and then that night we all sported our official Peachtree shirts at the Decatur fireworks festival. More compliments ensued. Atlantans are really appreciative and admiring of Peachtree runners. It's really the most fun 10K ever. Otherwise, there's no way in hainesville I would ever do it.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Nice pictures. wonder where you got those :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad we missed all the fun and festivities this year! I'm really sad I missed out on the most awesome t-shirt made thus far. Glad you're lung didn't explode! Hope we can run together next year!