Thursday, October 25, 2007

Another episode of things I learn from MARR

For the past two weeks I have been sitting in on a different primary group in the afternoons with a different counselor. The primary groups are smaller, with only about 3-4 guys in them as compared to about 10-15, and they are usually more like group therapy/process times where their counselor can go more in depth into their lives.

Since I started at MARR last May, I've been sitting in with my supervisor's group in the afternoons. But it's been time to change so I can see how other counselors do it.

The counselor I'm with now knows A TON about AA and the 12-steps. He has the best sayings and I've learned more and more about the disease model of addiction from him. It's been really cool.

Here's a couple of sights/sayings I've gotten from him this week:
"What is the alcoholic's favorite drink?" More
"What is the definition of mental obsession?" When one thought overrides all other thoughts
"What is the definition of resentment?" "Re" means to do something again, and "sentment" means to have a feeling about something, so "resentment" means to have ill-feelings over and over again
How do you manage decision making in recovery? RAAF- Resist, Analyze, Admit, Forgive
What is the best movie example of the 9th step? Billy Madison, when he makes amends with his high school friend, and he takes Billy off his hit list.

No comments: