Sunday, June 03, 2007

Maybe it won't be the summer of doom

I have been anticipating this summer to be quite doomish. Primarily this comes from having to take five classes, start my internship, and work part-time all within 2 1/2 months. However, this past week I started class and it went pretty well. I got the feeling that the professors understand that really none of us want to actually be in school during the summer, so my classes at least right now don't seem really difficult. I'm sure there will be a few moments though of "how-in-the-he__-will-I-get-this-all-done" but somehow I always get through it.

I am really looking forward to two of my classes, Christian Traditions and Theodicy. Christian Traditions is a class on church history but it's more on layman's terms then your typical hard core seminary class. I've been reading the main book right now and am learning all sorts of interesting things. Like did you know that Stephen was martyered eight years after Jesus was already crucified? I always thought it was like right after or something.

Theodicy is about the theology of suffering. Two out of the five books we have to read for that class are written by C.S. Lewis: "Grief Observed" and "The Problem of Pain". They will be my first non-Naria C.S. Lewis books books I have ever read. I already finished the first one, and could really relate to it. So I'm excited to read those and learn more about God's purposes for suffering.

I think the hardest part for me so far has been just being an actual counselor now. For example, I can see up to four clients on Tuesday nights at the Hope Counseling Center. I only have one right now, so I basically get all dressed up and go to my center to see her, do my paperwork, and come home. Then on Thursday nights I have supervision for that client and the others I will get. It's definitely not down to a routine yet, although going well. I think it still sounds weird to tell people that I'm going to see my client though.

My internship at MARR on Mondays and Wednesdays is still amazing. I'm learning a ton about the disease of addiction and I love the people there. It's a huge blessing. I still cannot believe that I'm working at a rehab place with men with additions, but clearly God knew something that I didn't because it's awesome.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

those books are great...i read them a while ago and maybe i should add them to the summer reading list!
i'm praying for you this summer, that the Lord gives you the strength, patience and energy to accomplish all that you need to do!
miss you BIG!!

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Dude. Sounds awesome. I didn't know that Stephen was martyred 8 years after Christ ascended. Insanity!