Friday, June 29, 2007

It's 8:03 on a Friday night

Tonight I had to resign myself to do something really boring, as in reading for school and doing a take home final that had to be postmarked by tomorrow.

The reward for finishing my test and driving to the post office to ensure the needed June 30 postmark, was to stop by my favorite Mexican place, Mi Taco, for an awesome Chicken Quesadilla to-go. Hmmm..this blog is starting to sound a lot like my cousin Simon's, who always seems to report on food.

Anyway, I digress.

I was able to obtain the said quesadilla at around 8:03pm, which was when I got in the car to make my way home on Pleasantdale Rd as usual. I should mention here that the only reason I was driving was because I promised Jamie and Nathan I would. I really wanted to walk to Mi Taco because I like the exercise and I like that it makes me feel like I'm overseas to walk places. But it is a bit dangerous, as they pointed out, so I drove.

As I was getting in the car I thought I heard someone calling out in a really loud voice, but I couldn't make sense of the words and it didn't seem bad so I just got in the car and started driving home. As I got to the main corner by Mi Taco, there was about 20 teenagers standing on the corner in a big group. One guy had a megaphone, another girl had a small camcorder. The megaphone guy was shouting something about
believing in Jesus. Wow. Swell. I hadn't seen anything like that in years. I'm not sure how sincere they were considering the camcorder, etc. I had a burning desire to say something like "isn't there a better way to do this" as I was pretty close to them, but miraculously I withheld. I was really thankful for Nathan and Jamie's advice at this point.

When I got home I ate my quesadilla just as a terrific storm was brewing. So I picked up my book, settled in on the couch, and focused on finishing it by tonight. I should mention now that the book I had to read was for a class on the dynamics of suffering and God, and it was about sin and evil. Also, just as the storm got really intense, I started the chapter on exorcism. Good timing. Then the lights go out. Even better timing. The lights come back on and I search for candles just in case. Also, around this time I debate calling Jamie, but realize I will probably survive and I can always stop reading, right?? That's what she would tell me to do. Plus, I don't know what I would ask her to help me with. And I'm not sure if I could ask her to come home to sit with me while I finish the exorcism chapter. Unfortunately that chapter was the best read out of all of them, so I read the whole thing word for word.

But the storm died down. Nothing overly doomish has happened. Soxie came by for a pat. And Jamie will be home soon....so much for boring. Time for bed! We'll see how that goes. I think I'm going to read my Narnia book to counteract the effects.

3 comments:

CP said...

oh jess, that sounds traumatic. I totally would've called Jamie!

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

I definitely would have called someone...freaky! I am trying to think about what I was doing on Friday night and how I missed the storm...

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you survived :o) i would have definitely put the book down and called someone...