Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Craziest 45 minute phone call ever

I hope I can capture what just happened in blog but I'm gonna try.

SO while I was in Kenya Pastor and Martha went to a Kenya-wide pastor's conference and came back with a box full of books that some of my team had the privilege of writing KRPC Makuku on the side in black marker and putting them on the slum library shelf (it's really called that). I found a book in that box called AIDS is Real and It's In Our Church and I would read a bit here and there until we left and I was addicted. I thought oh I'll just order myself a copy when I get home.

I COULD NOT find this book at all anywhere once I got home. I asked my teammate Fouk b/c she's the woman who knows how to get things and she found it on this website www.africachristiantextbooks.com . So while I was with Jennifer visiting Carly last September I filled out this shifty website order form and ordered it. No response.

About two weeks ago I get this random email from a Dr. Ron Rice who says they got my order form but have had problem with the site. Could I please email him after Feb 16 a reminder and he would help me get a copy. I barely remembered ordering the book at all since this was 5 months ago so I was stoked and in disbelief that I was going to get one.

I remembered today that it was after the 16th so I emailed him. HE JUST CALLED ME. Apparently there's only 48 copies of this book and they're all at this missionary woman's mom's house in Duluth, GA which is like 15 minutes away from me. Dr. Rice is trying to get the books up on Amazon but it's been really time consuming. This guy is the only US liason for ACTS (African Christian Textbooks) and he said they do have the books at a seminary called NEGST if I've heard of that. Hello, of course we lived like 10 minutes from that campus! So I could have gotten it in Kenya apparently. This guy's also a retired Presbyterian pastor who's been working in Nigeria for the last 4 years getting materials on AIDS to Christians and Muslims amongst other things.

All that to say he's going to contact this women's mother, see if I can get one of the lone 48 copies, and then he might ask me to help ship the books up to him in Seattle b/c that's where Amazon is and he'll probably need to get them to Amazon. He also told me about this sweet article below and he said that World Vision has the corner market in the US on materials about AIDS. I've had the hardest time finding good lay materials in the US on AIDS that's not like my teammate Matthew's textbooks.

So....anyway, what the crap this is awesome asante sana to me.

Here is the cool article

2 comments:

melanie said...

Craziness. I don't know what's stranger..that you could have gotten the book in Africa or that the only 48 copies are a stone's throw from your house! Sounds like a fascinating book. Hope to hear about it as you read it.

Unknown said...

For Amazon you can actually list things yourself and then the order comes to you and you can ship the book to the customer. That way you do not send the books to Amazon directly. You could sell them that way - Ebay works too.