Thursday, November 16, 2006

Last day of group therapy

On Thursday afternoons I have my group therapy class which consists of half lecture and then half group therapy. The lecture helps us get the concepts and the therapy helps us experience what that's like since many people have never been a part of it before.

We split up sort of randomly during one of the first classes into our two different groups. Each group is led by a student leader who has graduated from our school. After lecture we get with our groups and go to the room for "therapy". I put that in quotes because it can never be true therapy because it's for a class, we're required to be there, and it's a bit weird being with fellow students who will see you over and over again in different classes.

Today was our last time for the therapy part and so we were supposed to write an encouraging notecard to each person in the group sharing what you learned from them or how you wanted to say goodbye to them. We brought them and exchanged them. It was really really cool to see what people wrote. Here's a couple of mine.

"I have appreciated the authenticity with which you approach topics. You appear to speak your mind and creatively incorporate humor into your genuinuess. I enjoyed your quirkiness."

"You were the one in the group who I felt like I had the most in common with and enjoyed sharing with the most. I appreciated your honesty and your humor that you brought to the group. I though it was admirable to be able to share about your mom, even though you were unsure about sharing at all."

"In keeping with my true nature of conciseness, I have elected to say goodbye to you by selecting three words/terms that you have embodied in our group from my perspective: honesty, comedy, self-awareness. Thank you for the gift you are and will become."

1 comment:

sringsmuth said...

It sounds a tad trite to say "I agree with what they said," but it's pretty true (and a good example of alliteration, I might add). It sounds like the people in your class got a great idea of who you are, Jess. You certainly are a light to those around you.