As I write this, my cat Soxie is sitting next to me resting herself on my leg =).
My time off from work and school this week has been fabulous. The weather has been incredibly awesome, and I've been able to get things done inside (i.e. cleaning and watching Husker football) and go running and walking outside. Thanksgiving Day I was able to see my aunt Charlotte and cousins Jenny and Becky who I hadn't seen in about two years at least. It was fun seeing them and my Atlanta relatives, not to mention many in-laws and then my Indian friend and her mom and an Indian guy and a Pakistani that my aunt and uncle brought. The food was incredible and although I was second to last in our game of hearts I left with a full stomach and heart.
Last night Amy and Laura D and I went to dinner near Laura D's house for her 2_th birthday. She lives in an area of Atlanta that I'm quite unfamiliar with so this was quite an educational experience. Up until last night, I thought Buckhead was largely just for parties and eating out. So when Laura told me that she lived in West Buckhead, I was kind of skeptical because Laura's not a partier and she lives in a nice condo in a quiet neighborhood. As we made our way to dinner, we drove by some beautiful houses and a PARK even, then popped out just south of the Buckhead party area. Interesting. We headed on to Jabitos (I think?) this sweet Mexican place. I was already facinated by the new surroundings which only intensified at the restaurant because I think for the first time in my life I went to a public place in Atlanta where there were no black people. Everyone was white and super preppy. Apparently, Buckhead is not just parties galore but also people from the Old South with money and whatnot. But, I basically lost interest in all of this when the chips and salsa came because the salsa was so scrumptous my focus could not be on anything else.
On the way out though Laura finally spotted a black person and as we we looked closer you could tell he was obviously homeless. What the crap. Atlanta is by far the most diverse place I have ever lived, and normally I see just as many white, black, and hispanic people in a day of all socioeconomic backgrounds. But even Atlanta is not immune to segregation and the divide between the rich and poor.
We did have a lot of fun and got to talk some shop because Laura and Amy are veteran counselors. OH and one more thing, don't ever watch the movie American Dreamz, because it's really American nightmarez.
2 comments:
You should've rented Mostly Martha!!
check it out...www.kenya2008.blogspot.com
watched ATL the other night and thought of you...hahaha!
man, i miss you!
Post a Comment